Author Topic: Rant- The "balance" of casters  (Read 17258 times)

BraliusMelchior

• View Profile
Rant- The "balance" of casters
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »
Druid is the watered down version of the cleric, with fun additions that enhance RP, but only give the illusion of being beneficial. There are unique spells, an animal companion, wild/elemental shape, and animal empathy.

At some mid-lower levels, druids really shine, being able to put to use those extra things that they get over clerics... but once you get into higher levels - your animal companion can become absolutely useless (depending on which one you're using), your wild shape is obsolete, elemental shape is good - but you make some sacrifices changing forms, and animal empathy is pretty much useless. They generally end up with less castings than clerics, can't spontaneously cast anything, and are missing some great spells that clerics get in return for some not so great spells. (Earthquake for instance... wtf?)

My experience with Druid from playing Delimar taught me that you have to put aside game mechanics to enjoy druid, and simply explore what RP possibilities are opened up to you by playing such a unique class. Anyway, just answering to the last part of kite's post... since my only epic character ever was a druid :P

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »
Quote from: "AelrynBloodmoon"
Where can I go as a caster to buy +15 discipline?

I will have to check for certain, but Avalona Xanthe has three items on her, not purchased mind you, that give her +15 discipline.  It makes it worse that she's a paladin/monk, so her discipline goes through the roof.  Currently, she has a discipline over 30 at level 13.  And, I must admit, I haven't put points into discipline at each level.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

jcly kite

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
I think he meant from an NPC. There are items that give a lot of bonus to Discipline but I don't think any of them come from vendors.

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »
I checked, you do have to find them in dungeons (which means you have to be fortunate enough to find them).  Some are class specific, such as the Skullcap of the Way which give improved crit (unarmed strike) and +5 discipline.  And the knightly gauntlets, which have +2 strength, +2 discipline but only usable by lawful good.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

jcly kite

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
I thought Dragon Slippers have like +10 discipline on them or something. Regardless, that still supports his point that you can't buy these items from vendors.

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
Dragon slippers have +5 discipline on them, but yes, you can't find them on NPC vendors.
"You get the award for the most characters clogging the veins of the server, building up like a plaque filled aorta"- DM Daisy.

Torin

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
I think the +5 is a mistake, though. They're meant to be +10, as far as i can recall. Sometimes you find them +10, sometimes +5. Dont know why, though.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »
Since the old loot system used a combination of custom items and default NWN items that were filtered and auto-tweaked before being handed to the players, there were likely two versions of the boots: one custom version and one where the knockdown immunity was auto-replaced with a standard Discipline bonus.  The new loot system most likely has its own variation.