Author Topic: The LOTN Wiki  (Read 11946 times)

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The LOTN Wiki
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:56:33 AM »
Hello people.
For those that did not know, we have a wiki page, http://lotn.info/wiki/Main_Page, that I am currently working on expanding ( since it has virtually nothing but a handful of deities).

I make this post for three reasons:
1) To inform newbies of it's existence, since the old thread is hidden under a ton of other topics.
2) To ask if we can have a shortcut added to the forum, like at the bar on the top of the page.
3) To ask what people would like to see added onto the page? Right now, we have started on typing out the different regions on the server and what one might find there, as well as the Greater Powers of the deities (Which I added some new information to yesterday).

I'd also like to make a request for players to help us expand the wiki if they feel up for it. It could be a neat tool and a good way to, for example, learn the unique history of the server. - One might even add his/her own player characters as "Known worshipers" under each deity page.
"You get the award for the most characters clogging the veins of the server, building up like a plaque filled aorta"- DM Daisy.

Neutral_Zone

Re: The LOTN Wiki
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:12:28 AM »
Stickied the topic for now. In the meantime, it would help people a lot if we had page templates so that they could more easily add stuff. A lot of people aren't familiar with the standard MediaWiki software.

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:15:31 AM »
I wasn't either, I just picked it up yesterday. Which is why my pages look so wrong.
"You get the award for the most characters clogging the veins of the server, building up like a plaque filled aorta"- DM Daisy.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
I'm only just getting back into the swing of wikiness myself, so I'm open to any specifics anyone has in mind.  I tried my hand at templates with the deities, but haven't moved much beyond that.  The regions and areas are all copy-pasta.

There should be a button on the menu bar for everyone now.  As of the moment, I can't really make the two worlds mesh visually.  Hitting the link sends you hurling at the wiki with no regard for anything forumy.  The only thing they really share in common is a user base.  I'll have to add a link back to the forums somewhere, at very least.

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
I had no idea we had this. Totally adding stuff!
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
4) To inform oldies we have it :3

Good Kattze, we can use the help

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »
The more i enter in data to this thing the more i worry about doing it incorrectly. Im listing some inhabitants of neverwinter and wondering if they should be added as a category or somethign instead? Im now sure how that would be integrated with the page. I also would like to make a template for character pages but dont know how to make them. Or if thats something i can even do... This was such a bad idea to wiki things up with scotch.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
Well, the important thing is that Rafferty is old. Everything else will fall into place from there.

You've done great work :3 It looks a lot more organized now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:24:04 PM by Darkzealot »

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
I added a new extension to help you with your template-wanting goals.

http://lotn.info/wiki/Extension:CreateBox

Add the specified code to a category page (or where ever you want, I suppose), make a "Template:" file with the desired preloaded text you want and some of the work will be predone for people.

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
I dont speak spanish i have no idea what this box does for me.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
No hablo wiki?

Don't worry.  It's not important just yet.  Basically, it lets you give players an easy way to make a new page with a template you create.  But it's a little soon to actually use.  I'm working on a simple tutorial to get people up to speed on the fundamentals first.  Then we'll worry about the fanciness.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 03:00:45 AM »
The first draft of your wiki essentials tutorial is up (http://lotn.info/wiki/LotNW:A_Wiki_Crash_Course).  Feel free to peruse, then use your new-found skills to improve upon it.  There probably isn't much new for those of you who have already started learning by trial and error, but it's a springboard from which to move forward.

For those who want to skip the tutorial, but still want to play around, I've added a new section to the wiki for just that.  Any page you create that starts with "Sandbox:" in the title will be created in its own little subsection of the wiki.  It's still public and people can see it (like all of the wiki), but it won't come up in normal searches or tarnish the "pretty" side of the wiki in any meaningful way.  Feel free to create and edit Sandbox: pages to your heart's content.

Just, you know, keep it legal.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:11:07 AM by machmoth »

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
Added a character page template for you folks interested. It's not perfect, but MediaWiki hates me and has decided that none of my more advanced syntax is correct, so it'll do for now. If you've got the guts, you can make changes to the template, but just remember that it'll affect every character page on the wiki that uses it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:59:25 AM by Neutral_Zone »

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
Thanks male members of the community for playing your part. Now do all the work for me!
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
On another note is there a way to hide fields in your template? I dont want to list my characters alignment, classes and whatnot.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT