Author Topic: Computer died  (Read 6496 times)

shadowangel

• View Profile
Computer died
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
So my computer fried today, Overheated and now it decides it won't go past the XP loading screen, It does a blue screen for a split second then restarts, And considering i have no clue how to fix it beyond getting a new computer, Help would be greatly appreciated.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
I did hear the beeping of the motherboard over Vent, repeating Hi/Low. Depends on the BIOs, but from what I could find, that typically refers to Overheating/Damaged CPU. It is quite possible it was damaged before... or the overheating caused that.

Can you even get into Safe Mode? Or better yet, find out what the text says in the top left corner? (Might say something like "Unmountable Boot Volume") Might have to let it "try" to turn on a few times before catching onto it (Unless someone knows a better method). It could be a damaged CPU, or maybe Windows needs a reinstall. Best to figure out what it is first, though...
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Jocularity

• Dungeon Master
  • I'm on an Adventure!
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
CPU is one of (if not the very most) the hottest running components, so your problem is likely to do with it, yeah. Good catch Tails. Have you looked inside? Does anything look melty? Did it make a smell when it first went bad? I've had stuff explode inside before. I also once had a PCI port that took up smoking. But i digress.

Anyway, yeah. Without looking at it, the best bet is to replace the CPU, i guess. Get a better fan/cooling system while you're at it too. :P
"I didn't know they make Glow in the Dark Escalators..."

shadowangel

• View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
I didn't smell anything funny from it, Also for some wierd reason i can't start in safe mode anyway. Missing a file i think.
Edit: Well I tried it again this morning, Can't seem to pull the damned RAM out, But That blue screen actually stopped and let me see the error, Said the usual windows may have shut down because of yada yada. Run chkdsk etc. But the error i got was: Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82BF58D8, 0xC0000102, 0X00000000

Zodiac

• View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:07:12 AM »
It's dead. Nuff sed.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
Quote from: "Zodiac"
It's dead. Nuff sed.

We don't know that. He still has to do a check with the XP CD to find out of it's possibly a software thing that happened. In that case, a Windows reinstall might do it. He could need a new motherboard, or whatever is broken (most likely the CPU), too. Worst comes to worst, then it is dead and he needs a new rig. However, let's not be too hasty and kick it six feet under after only a single day of work, shall we?

Otherwise, I'd end up with up to 3 new computer rigs since I've gotten my current one years ago if I just did that.

Let us know about the status with that disk check.

Zodiac

• View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:02:17 PM »
It's better for Shadow if it's dead. Cause then he'll have to get a brand new one. Eventually.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
Quote from: "Zodiac"
It's better for Shadow if it's dead. Cause then he'll have to get a brand new one. Eventually.

I don't think he's got the money to waste on a brand new system, Zodiac. That's not tech supporting, that's just a plain excuse to waste. If you don't have any other real suggestion other than tossing out a machine without a day of any real fixing (He still has to get his XP disk), then let the other people handle it.

Most problems can be fixed, especially if you put effort into it. Stop repeating "It's dead". Really. It's not constructive at all.

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 01:23:48 AM »
I make housecalls. $85/hour plus expenses, 50% of estimated bill up front. My passport is up-to-date, and I don't mind flying coach.  :)
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Zodiac

• View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 03:23:04 AM »
Tsu wins.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
Computer died
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Before we go flying people to where ever the hell you are, lets test some things first.

A) Get a new cd drive (cant have to many)
B) Boot from your XP cd
    1) Boot runs fine, install XP and youre done
    2) Boot from CD fails, download a diagnostic tool burn that to a cd and check your hardware. Then replace anything that needs replaced and go back to step 1.

See. Its easy!