Author Topic: DM Notes: 11/04/08. Sakes takes a break  (Read 4032 times)

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
DM Notes: 11/04/08. Sakes takes a break
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »
Its been awhile since I did one of these but I felt it would be a good way to stay I'll be stepping back from DMing for an unknown length of time.  

There are a lot of reasons going into the decision but the main one is that I don't feel I can perform my duties without having to get into a flame war with a player of DM over having my every action questioned.

I've made my career here from being the bad guy, and I understand that means some scrutiny, but at this point I feel I can't perform my duties without having a polarizing effect on the players and DMs.   I perform as a DM for two reasons; Personal enjoyment, and the benefit of the server.   The former stems largely from the ladder, and when my every action as a DM results in me constantly having to defend myself from unsubstantiated accusations of favoritism and abuse it not only robs me of the enjoyment of the act of DMing, but also damages the server far more then the quest itself benefits it.  

I'm not stepping down by any means, mainly because I know that I won't stay away forever.  I've put a lot of my time and effort into the server for the better part of a decade.  Thats not a commitment I can walk away from.

I do want to thank all the players who have been largely supportive lately.   Despite claims to the contrary, (some even by myself) your the ones who make it all worthwhile.  I may back next week, or not until next year.  I haven't decided.

With that out of the way, I want to move onto the next topic, which is something I hoped not to state publicly as it gives away OOC information, but Miranda and I discussed it and feel its important to get the record out there.

Recently a player was given permission to be a RDD, specifically a piece of Visen's horde and some players have voiced concern that makes that player untouchable as they can use the threat of Visen to be untouchable.

This is not the case.  The character in question doesn't command Visen, and in fact, hes just as likely to kill her for bothering him as he is save her.  Visen expects her to perform her duties and not be weak.  If he has to come to her rescue, that means shes weak and failed and doesn't deserve his help anyway.  There is nothing in it for Visen to have a minion he has to constantly bail out: Thats more an annoyance for him then a benefit.

That being said: there ARE situations where the DM staff will bail a character out, usually in situation where the character is helpless but the player would prefer the character not be perma-killed, in keeping with out consentual RP policy.  In a situation like that, the DM staff tries to save a player in a way that makes sense for RP.  The two Banites happen to escape while being transported, or Tyr decides to save his follower from torture and death at the hands of the enemy, or a freak earthquake makes an escape route... whatever works.    That is the only situation in which Visen would come into play for this character.  (Barring, of course, an actual trip up to Hotenow)

Keep in mind please that this is OOC information.  This character may very well threaten the wraith of Visen if anyone touches her, but sometimes people say things that aren't true.  Further, the character is just days old, and the player would prefer shes not kicked around by zealous paladins and do gooders 3 times her level just for being in camp.

In any case, I'm not too concerned.  Our player base is traditionally very mature and capable of not harassing low level characters.  I wanted to be sure everyone understood we are not giving anyone special treatment beyond anything we'd do for any other player.

Thats all for me for awhile.  You all be good to eachother.... but not TOO good.

:evil:
DM Cat is watching you roleplay.

AelrynBloodmoon

• View Profile
    • http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1199
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
Despite our many varied viewpoints and not unheard of arguments between them, I'm a little sad to hear this, but encouraged by the fact that you know you're going to come back because it would suck if you put that much time into it just to have to quit.

Without discrediting any of the other DM's (who are awesomesauce and much fun as well,) despite our usual difference of opinions I can honestly say I find your quests extremely fun and something to look forward to- I never go into a Sakes quest assured of my character's unharmed survival, and I always expect some sort of reason that can be pursued and found out with due diligence to be involved in whatever happens. That's the sort of thing that makes me salivate to get involved in a quest- no guts, no glory, no brains, no answers. You make us work for it, even when we bitch at you about it.

I'm looking forward to your return, and I hope you enjoy your break and find that missing spark that makes this fun for you again soon.

On a less serious note, when I think of "Sakes" and "Favoritism" in the same thought, the only thing that comes to mind is "Sakes' favorite player to kill while DM'ing." Clearly, I am a victim of DM discrimination- you haven't killed me in over a week!   :lol:

Hurry back and end the discrimination!
"...If the opposing party does not respect you enough to show you his throat, find it and cut it out."

Whitefeather50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:34:35 AM »
*shocked* Wow... Sakes caved.

NineCoronas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:13:57 AM »
The most active DM goes. =/
"A dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at Dawn..."
Characters
Saares'si Bregthe - Scribe of Candlekeep, Slayer of the Magic Dancing Pants

Jocularity

• Dungeon Master
  • I'm on an Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »
Quote from: "NineCoronas"
The most active DM goes. =/

Does this mean i have to double my game?
"I didn't know they make Glow in the Dark Escalators..."