Author Topic: Not exactly a problem...  (Read 4839 times)

Sightless

• View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:54:26 AM »
So, a while ago I was goofing around on my compy, then for no apparent reason it stopped working. Thinking it had jsut frozen I tried rebooting, that didn't work so I tried the good ol' "Ignore it and it'll go away" solution and shut my computer down completely and waited for a while, then tried turning it back on.

Near the start of the compy turning on I get this message saying (I'm serious, it actually says this): "Status BAD!!! press f1 to continue"

I'm not joking... it says "Status BAD!!!" exactly that way... capital bad, three exclamation points...

But the oddest thing about this is that the computer still runs perfectly, I've noticed absolutly no problems at all... I ran various virus-scans (Norton 2006 and Avast!) and such and they turned up nil...

All I want to know is... what the crap?

...Seriously...

What the crap?
Everything has a story...

...you just need to find it.

(Pic from Post Nuke: www.postnukecomic.com, 'Dialogue' by me!)

Amerie

• View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »
It's a HDD issue, the SMART error reporting is telling you your disk is about to drop dead. Scandisk may be able to fix it, run a thorough scan and hope. But realistically you should backup everything of value and look into getting a new HDD.

Sorry *hugs*

Talie

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
Eeep, I also sometime goof around and just ignore errors and such..*will back up every second day now* I'm just too lazy :P

Goodmane

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jaystrife
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »
Yeah, when you get an error like that, back up your files ASAP. Don't wait for it to get worse. When a hard drive dies, it pretty much dies instantly.

Fortunately, hard drives run pretty cheap these days. I'd keep my eyes open for sales and such.
I Want Bones Like Iron, Blood Like Mercury.

- Dispatch

Sightless

• View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 01:27:11 AM »
Man... I'm fucking pissed off.... Brand new computer, not even a month into using it and my hard-drive is dieing....  Yay!

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »
Quote from: "Sightless"
Man... I'm fucking pissed off.... Brand new computer, not even a month into using it and my hard-drive is dieing....  Yay!

Usually, when a Hard Drive fails, it's either up to 1 - 2 years from purchase (I'm lucky to not suffer a hard drive failure... yet...), or it's within the first 4 months...
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Sightless

• View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 02:56:36 AM »
Motherexpletive! And I have no money to get a -new- hard drive... Scan disk better frucking work...

AngryKidJoe

Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 03:25:11 AM »
Where'd you get it?

Sightless

• View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 03:43:23 AM »
A privately owned computer building business. My Mom has this magical tech guy who helps her out with all her computer needs, and he knows the guy who built my computer, so we got a bit of a deal on it.

I've got warranties and stuff, so I'll see if I can get a replacement that way is scandisk doesn't work...

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not exactly a problem...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38:30 AM »
I've seen a very similar message from a bad CMOS battery. That's easy to fix, costs a couple bucks for it. You just have to change the battery, and reset the CMOS settings.

But if the machine is new or nearly-new, make the dude fix it. No reason for you to have to deal with it.

Especially if it IS a SMART error and your hard drive IS dying.
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln