Author Topic: Suggestion regarding Rangers and Assassins  (Read 2084 times)

AelrynBloodmoon

• View Profile
    • http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1199
Suggestion regarding Rangers and Assassins
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »
So, I don't really hold much hope for these suggestions, but I thought I'd throw them out there.

Aside from the potential for abuse that resides in spamming HiPS (something which I'm assuming is no longer feared quiet as badly since the restrictions on Shadowdancers were adjusted a bit,) there was always the issue with the fact that, with one level of shadowdancer, a character could have HiPS by level 6. I agree that something like that is particularly problematic, to the point that in my own PnP games I tend to disallow the class/enforce levels of the class being taken to a certain point.

With that said- while I agree level 6 is too soon, I think level 13 and level 17 aren't particularly unreasonable. In line with that, I present the following information; http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)

At 8th level, an assassin can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, an assassin can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

ANNNND http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm

Camouflage (Ex)

A ranger of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)

While in any sort of natural terrain, a ranger of 17th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

I figured since many of the classes and spells have been 3.5-ized, I might throw this out there as a suggestion. I'll go ahead and admit it outright- part of it has to do with the fact that a long time ago I submitted a character for shadowdancer and they were turned down, and they are now approaching their 8th level in assassin. The other part has to do with the fact that pure rangers, while by no means crippled, tend to generally be agreed upon as one of the classes least taken to pure epic levels, and that assassins always have seemed to me the sort of person you SHOULD expect to just pop up out of nowhere, slit your throat (or try,) and vanish.

As for the ranger's ability in particular, I know they get a feat that only provides bonuses in said natural terrain- perhaps some sort of check could be written where if they're getting the woodland stride bonus (I think that's the feat,) and have level 17, HIPS = yes.

*Puts on a blindfold* Fire when ready.
"...If the opposing party does not respect you enough to show you his throat, find it and cut it out."

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »
ranger is probably my favorite class. i wouldn't mind seeing this kind of bonus for my epic pure ranger >.>
Rawr.

BraliusMelchior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
They did this on another server I play on. The assassin was supposed to receive HiPS in non-natural or city based terrain, while the ranger received HiPS in natural terrain, however it was sort of buggy.

Assassin ended up getting HiPS unmodified at level 10, since they had difficulty implementing for non-natural terrain.

Ranger ended up getting it somewhere around level 20... maybe 17, I don't remember, but you'd receive the feat as soon as you went into a natural area and it would remain until next time you log off, so it didn't work entirely as intended.

IMO, it was awesome for rangers to get, to make up for them being the worst class in NWN. Assassins became slightly overpowered when they got HiPS though. Imagine getting that death attack as many rounds as you want... just ugly...