Author Topic: Build Request Thread  (Read 8334 times)

Zodiac

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:11:13 AM »
So here goes.

Camp- less fires, merchant moved to different areas, stew house gone, "leaning" tent removed, punishment area taken out maybe?

NWC- finished moonstone mask, more shops, maybe a new shop. Curly (guy for caravan) moved to the south gates since he's headed that way anyways. Temple of Lathander updated. Castle Never redone.

Dragon dig up (south of NWC)- something done with that maybe some dialog or something

This is all I have for right now. I'm sure there will be more.

Evo1ve

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 03:44:41 AM »
You best not mean that tent Saline/Amildor used to lean on! I will cry, complain, and shout profanities at you!

But more seriously, a change in the camp would be nice in my opinion.

Personally I'd like to see the ants maybe revamped and perhaps that Bloodied Grove looked at again. On that note, I might be interested in throwing in some ideas for the ants if a "qualified and assigned" builder were to ask for my petty opinion.

Zodiac

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 04:19:52 AM »
Quote from: "Juslaxn"
You best not mean that tent Saline/Amildor used to lean on! I will cry, complain, and shout profanities at you!

yeah that's the one.

Eowarion

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 04:21:03 AM »
To quote a Mr Vader:

N(O*100000)!

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:29:06 AM »
Quote from: "Juslaxn"
Personally I'd like to see the ants maybe revamped ...

The ant area is actually already being revised by a builder, as of last week. If you have specific suggestions, post them here or PM me. Personally, I prefer a PM: I'm guessing that the players as a whole like going thru a new area for the first time, not really knowing what to expect. If you lay out all the details here, well, that takes the surprise away.
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Haldadae

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:12:35 AM »
Camp - I like that the merchants are near the fire (or at least have one). It means I can have my less social character do something near other people without having to walk right up to the fire.

How about adding some archery targets and combat dummies? Maybe a sparring pit instead of what people do a lot of the time - walking up on the stage.

Maybe some rocks and logs that are sittable?

At one point I thought there was going to be some more random spawnable wildlife. It should still be easy stuff, but maybe just more variety than one to four badgers. :)

Oscer the Rogue

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 07:25:11 AM »
The badgers ate everything else that dared live there.. below CR 1/2.  Serioulsy, those things are vicious!
~When your day is long.  And the night..When the night is yours alone.  When your sure you've had enough, of this life.. hang on.  Don't let your self go, cause everybody cries.

Everybody hurts.. sometimes.~

-R.E.M.

TertTheSwift

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/a_guy_named_miles
Build Request Thread
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:30 AM »
You know what? I like the stew tent.  Take that. :P
Two to tango, one to sin.

Chyelle

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
I am not a fan of the stew hut, but it ... I dunno.  Flav put some soul into it when he made it, and from I gather, there are more than one Bubble references in there....

We can swing something at camp, gradually to affect change.  I like Hald's suggestion about the sittable logs and what not... then we can follow it with a small fire that takes out those hay stacks!  

As far as the spawn goes, yar, it would be nice to have something other than the rats and badgers, but something much fiercer would likely kill newbs.  We can work something out.

Haldadae

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
Perhaps instead of a trash barrel that eats things, that script could be put on the fire, accompanied by a little fire flare up, so when someone tosses something on the fire, it burns.

Hmm, actually, that might get annoying, so maybe it would be in -addition- to the trash barrel.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »
The hut can always slide off elsewhere. I'm sure there's a few open spots about the module (Or at least elsewhere in the camp where it doesn't take up the majority of it). I would think somewhere around Llast...

I had been pondering the replacement of the stew house with a sort of 'combat' arena, though. Fighting and such wouldn't kill the person, and we don't need to worry about the whole "Awh crap, I criticalled him for x5 damage and now he just died. Cleric?"

Combat dummies and archery targets would go in of course, but this is to at least keep all the 'practice and PvP' out of the ever growing camp population (to aid those that have computers that can't stand people just bashing 365.25/24/7).

Besides, I think the place needs thorough revamping.
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Chyelle

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
Camp is not a training ground, or a military area.  It is for resting, relaxing, and gathering your wits before you fight the big nasties.

Besides, archery targets and the like are laggy - not a good mix for a large area that has a good many people in it.

Camp's focus should be the gathering of people - a consolidation of players to promote RP.

Cale just mentioned that if it is not a training ground, why sell practice weapons... good point.  I believe the weapons serve as a dueling aid for people that take to the stage in acts of showmanship.

At one point, we were working on an arena that allowed "finishable fights" between players... that did not result in death.  If people still want that kind of thing, perhaps we can revisit the idea, but it would be in a cellar in NWC or something, not camp.

I only ask one more thing of this thread, or any like it.  Keep in mind that SOMEONE at sometime made the areas that you are discussing.  This doesn't by any means mean they are perfect, or cannot be revised.  It is just a reminder to be curteous in our words and be thankful for all the hard work all of our builders, both past and present, have put into the module.  Without the builders we would have nothing, and no one likes to hear their work dismantled or critiqued - or few do.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 04:21:01 PM »
Quote from: "Chyelle"
I only ask one more thing of this thread, or any like it.  Keep in mind that SOMEONE at sometime made the areas that you are discussing.  This doesn't by any means mean they are perfect, or cannot be revised.  It is just a reminder to be curteous in our words and be thankful for all the hard work all of our builders, both past and present, have put into the module.  Without the builders we would have nothing, and no one likes to hear their work dismantled or critiqued - or few do.

Yeah, but some previous areas, made by someone at sometime, have been changed: Roid, Mirabar, the Old Tomb... Even Port Llast. And just lately, the Church and the Bathhouse were done away with. What about them?

If everything is just kept the same (even by -very- gradual changes), it will only get stale.
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Zodiac

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
Camp is not a training ground, or a military area.  It is for resting, relaxing, and gathering your wits before you fight the big nasties.

Then why are there things constantly dropped in camp where people are trying to relax?

Cale just mentioned that if it is not a training ground, why sell practice weapons... good point.  I believe the weapons serve as a dueling aid for people that take to the stage in acts of showmanship.

Good point yes, but how often does this happen?

At one point, we were working on an arena that allowed "finishable fights" between players... that did not result in death.  If people still want that kind of thing, perhaps we can revisit the idea, but it would be in a cellar in NWC or something, not camp.

Why in NWC? Who is going to head all the way there to kick someones ass if it started in camp? Personally a small area in camp, I think would be a better idea. Sure revisit the idea, but rethink it's location.

We do thank them. We appreciate their hard work, however I'm sure some would agree that changes do need to be made. And it's not that people don't like their work critiqued, it's the way it's done, people don't like negativity to their work. They've busted their asses and spent their free time only to be told that something has too much or too little or just plain sucks. I've had it done several times and fixed what was wrong but I took it all in stride.  I know others who have had it done to them. It's a pain in the ass, and it makes it look like their work is underappreciated.

So with that being said.

Thank you to all our builder past and present. :)

Haldadae

• View Profile
Build Request Thread
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
I think all of these ideas are too new to be saying no to anything or stifling possible suggestions with the clause of don't say anything that might offend anyone. I think good design involves being honest with yourself and others. It's also a process.

Stuff I used to draw/design/create/write about, looks pretty sucky. It just does. If you can't laugh about where you have been, you aren't going to get anywhere. Design builds on itself, so let's make things better.

If you have an idea, toss it out. The no's can come later.