Author Topic: NWN & Vista  (Read 7505 times)

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NWN & Vista
« on: April 15, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »
Has anybody tried loading NWN on Vista?

I have. And it works great!

Ummm ... except I can't see any creatures, or their clothes. I'm totally invisible, as is every other creature.

I still cast a shadow. And Vanya in the start area still has wings. But other than that, nobody's visible.

I've tried several characters, and tried reequipping clothing. No dice.

Anyone else have anything to share about Vista and NWN?
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Eowarion

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:16:21 PM »
Problem: Windows Vista.
Solution: Don't upgrade.

<.<

Oscer the Rogue

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
Vista = mac
Mac = retarded

I'd have to agree with Eow
~When your day is long.  And the night..When the night is yours alone.  When your sure you've had enough, of this life.. hang on.  Don't let your self go, cause everybody cries.

Everybody hurts.. sometimes.~

-R.E.M.

Rasma

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Vist=/=Mac
Vista=Windows=Microsoft=Crap
But there is the option of a duel boot if you need vista and want nwn

Eowarion

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
Oscer = Windows Zealot

Me = Saying that from the standpoint that still, little is working nicely with Vista.

Oscer the Rogue

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:27:08 AM »
Vista is window's attempt at running like a mac, as near as I can tell.  And neither work well with anything game-related, truely..

Though, the back door in Vista alone is enough to make me -never- 'upgrade'.. I don't like the idea of some bastard entering my comp to remove what they see as suspicious programing.  Invasion of privacy much?
~When your day is long.  And the night..When the night is yours alone.  When your sure you've had enough, of this life.. hang on.  Don't let your self go, cause everybody cries.

Everybody hurts.. sometimes.~

-R.E.M.

AngryKidJoe

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »
Real answer: The issue is the graphic drivers from Nvidia & ATi. There are a megaton load of graphical issues with games running with vista. You can either: Wait until it's fixed and enjoy your new OS. Or you can take the more common route and conclude that Vista is treating you like a baby and you like a different OS better (Unix, XP, Mac).

If you would like my opinion, mine would be the latter. Revert.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »
I managed to fix most of the graphical flaws in vista with downloading updated drivers and the like, but it still has come flaws even after that. Vista will bend you and your game over table, its really not worth the hassle.

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
My Lenovo ThinkPad T60 came with a ATI X1200 chipset, and Vista. After four video driver updates and three BIOS updates (yes, BIOS updates were required to fix video problems), I finally can play NWN on it. I still get annoying flickering in toolset, but it doesn't crash, at least.

If my job wasn't supporting other people's PC's, and I didn't need to have a Vista system around for training and testing, I would have ordered it with XP.

Someday, Microsoft will get it figured out.
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
NWN & Vista
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:16:35 PM »
Quote from: "Oscer the Rogue"
Vista = mac
Mac = retarded

Gauntlet's been throwed down, y'all!

Little known fact that has been often repeated over and over and over.

95% of Windows users hate Mac.  The same could be said the other way.  Of those 95%, 80% have never used the opposing operating system.

I used to fall into that 80% category.  Then I woke up and realized that I really didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  A history lesson is in order.  Let's look back to the dawn of the computing age, just as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were mere pee-ons in the world that has grown today.

Both men are extremely intelligent.  But is it an intelligence that is born of the knowledge of the current products they market?  Hell, no!  Both these men have poker faces that could convince the Pope neither one of them has ever sinned.  Ever.

They are marketing geniuses.  Bill Gates didn't really create anything.  He just had the money to buy DOS, and then licensed it to IBM because "the money's in the hardware, not the software."  Steve Jobs managed to create the first Graphical User Interface, and introduced the world to the mouse (which, by the by, is a Xerox invention).  Yes, Bill Gates assisted in the creation of the first Mac System Interface.  And yes, he used this practice in creating Windows, the last of these dinosaurs being Windows 3.11 before the announcement of the new, shiny Windows 95.

A comparison of the operating systems can be done quite easily.  Windows was always geared toward a user friendly interface with the power to switch easily and effortlessly between office creating documents, thus why Office works so well under a Windows environment.  Mac was built for the, can't believe I'm saying this, fancy lad.  The graphical gurus who can create, dream and build most of the amazing productions in audio, visual and 3D.  A large majority of Hollywood special effects are generated using a Mac OS run computer.  The remainder.  A Linux based operating system that is, more than likely, developed by Sun.

But, wait!  Mac X OS!  It is a Unix operating system!

Very true.  And infinitely more stable than any Windows platform to date.  Also, not nearly as blotted as any Windows platform.  Ever.

See, the Unix example is where Mac got smart.  Ditch their own programing and go with something tried and true and far superior to anything created by Microsoft.

But... but... I can't play .... games on a Mac.

Again.  False.  Yes you can.  Taking a look at my own computer system at home, I have a main desktop machine that I use as an entertainment center, as it is hooked up to my TV, CD changer, and so on.  It's an AthalonXP 2600.  It runs many games quite well.  But I have to go for constant upgrades of hardware in order to keep up with software.  Currently the desktop runs 2 gig of RAM, has an nVidia chipset video card and an Audigy soundcard.  The desktop runs at 1.8 Gig.  It runs games pretty good.

Laptop.  Acer Aspire 5100.  4 gig of RAM, 2 gig processor, 200 gig of harddrive space.  Runs some games really, really well.  Others, not so well.  For example, it runs NWN like a dream.  City of Heroes... don't even bother installing it.  Guild Wars is great.

iMac.  Married with the Intel Duo Core processor, this made the Mac a workhorse in any situation.  And, it runs games amazingly well, in most cases, better than my laptop.  Not only that, but I can task switch with ease.  Yes, it's a drain on the system.  But that's true of any computer.  Task switch enough, you're probably going to see a crash at some point.  However, it plays games extremely well.

My linux box.  It's a piece of crap, not even going there.

So what exactly is it that makes Windows users hate Mac and vise versa?  Is it some difficulty in learning the other's system?  Because that's pretty weak.  Both interfaces are, if anything, simple to use.  A monkey could use either one without any problem.  Quite possibly the answer to this question is a simple one.  Fear.  Windows users are afraid they'd actually like a Mac environment and vise versa.  Or, Windows users are afraid to admit their inadequacies.  I can't say the same for OS X because I use a Mac at work and have no problems with it.  I use Windows at home.  It's fine.  But that's because I've tweaked it to do what I need it to do.

There is one major upside for Windows.  Cost.  When you purchase a new machine/laptop with Windows preinstalled, the cost is amazingly low compared to Mac.  My Acer cost me a little over a grand.  My iMac cost me a little over 2 grand.  And they aren't that far apart in performance.

As for Vista being an attempt at running like a Mac...  they still won't get it right.  Don't bother, Mac OS runs better, stick to what you know.  Making Office components.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 11:52:58 PM »
Quote from: "tsunami282"
Someday, Microsoft will get it figured out.

We can only hope man. We can only hope.

Zodiac

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:40:11 AM »
Quote from: "theMannequin"
Quote from: "Oscer the Rogue"
Vista = mac
Mac = retarded

Gauntlet's been throwed down, y'all!

Wait... Doesn't Eow now own a Mac Lappy?

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
NWN & Vista
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 03:02:41 AM »
Yes, he does.  So, he'd know what it's like to operate in a Mac environment.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

Zodiac

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 03:21:51 AM »
Quote from: "theMannequin"
Yes, he does.  So, he'd know what it's like to operate in a Mac environment.

He didn't get it until last month... EOW A LITTLE HELP PLEASE!

Eowarion

• View Profile
NWN & Vista
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »
Don't ask me, I don't touch Vista, at all.