Author Topic: Contraband  (Read 5458 times)

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Contraband
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:41:01 AM »
I'd like information on what items and / or substances might be considered illegal in the Sword Coast North area. What sorts of things might be forbidden to trade in? Is there a taxation system in place in Neverwinter, or Port Llast?

Any information along these lines would be most appreciated.
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Sharen Colt

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:59:36 AM »
we should integrate that

OCC812

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/occ812
Contraband
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:31:36 AM »
id like to know as well.
"The crazier you are, the more fun you have in life!"

LastWordz

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »
Unlike current/modern era, I'm not entirely certain that drugs in the Realms are technically contriband.
"Hindsight is wonderful -- it shows you how you busted your skull . . . after you've busted it. " --- Friday, R.A. Heinlein
"Schoolteacher -- lost that job when they caught me teaching the kids the raw truth; a capital offense anywhere in the galaxy." ---- Time Enough For Love, R.A. Heinlein

Abraxas77

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:40:06 PM »
Agreed, LW.

The Cities and larger port towns could affored to fight drug trafficing at port and gate.  A city would have better luck in stopping persons and crime organizations within its own walls.  But I seriously doubt the entire coast could form the type of alliance necessary to ban a substance over a region like the Sword Coast.  Water routes and sparse settlement of the rural areas are ideal conditions for smuggling anything.  Moreso of contriband which can be conceal as easily as a drug.  Even if such an alliance could form, I imagine political and social intrigue would prove far too difficult to overcome.

edit: horible typoing
?????????Cien Morkai :: Mz'khaena Aendryr :: Nymesť Dawnseed
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim."
?????-Edsger W. Dijkstra

SardCaid17

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:47:21 AM »
Regardless, contraband would be a really neat system to instill into the module.  I would think that RPing their effect, such as smuggling, would be a difficult task, though I'm almost certain LOTN DM's would be up to the task.  They rule.   :D  :!:
-Sard

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 01:17:12 AM »
Quote from: "SardCaid17"
Regardless, contraband would be a really neat system to instill into the module.  I would think that RPing their effect, such as smuggling, would be a difficult task, though I'm almost certain LOTN DM's would be up to the task.  They rule.   :D  :!:

Jailtime for each amount of "contraband" found on ya, perhaps?

Occasional guards about that check ya for contraband on some of the main roads... mmm... (Reminds me of my SWG days...)
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Abraxas77

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 02:44:48 AM »
Scripted NPC behavior is expensive and unreliable.

I say we give the job to the players!  What's the reason in hiring mercenaries when you have army of sworn knights behind ya'?!

All we need is a few easy scripts, a set of guidelines to keep play fair, PC smugglers,  PC thief-catchers, and active imaginations!

*considers possibilities and feasabilities*
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim."
?????-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Abraxas77

• View Profile
Contraband
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 03:04:05 AM »
Contraband = 0 value items of various size, wieght, and descrition.

We'd need a way to aquire contraband. (perhaps via the lootscript, or otherwise convince the DMs to act like Easter Bunnies)

The Smuggler's Tool: (script, convo, item)
  • a function to set exchange locations
    • another to dropoff (conceal) contraband
      • Rolls a skill check... hide?
    The Theif-Catcher Tool: (script, convo, item)
    • a function to detect hidden contraband
      • Rolls search check
    Both Tools would also have a function to recover controband

what else?
    ?????-Edsger W. Dijkstra

OCC812

• View Profile
      • http://www.myspace.com/occ812
    Contraband
    « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 02:44:06 AM »
    is that all?  :?
    "The crazier you are, the more fun you have in life!"