Author Topic: More Trap Disassemblers, Please  (Read 3296 times)

Wids

• View Profile
More Trap Disassemblers, Please
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »

This Amazing Trap Disassembly Unit has to be one of the most unique server features that I've ever seen.  I have never seen another server with anything of the sort!  The vast majority of servers don't have any merchants who will buy traps from adventurers (simply because the value of traps is so astronomically huge), so if you're playing a character who can't do anything with traps and you find one in the loot somewhere, it's just trash.  Here, you can at least break the trap down into its components, which can then be used and/or sold.  Alternately, if you are playing a character who can build and set traps, this trap disassembler allows you to take a few junky traps, disassemble them and use their components to build a better trap.  Bonus!

So I'm wondering why the only place which features this amazing little box of wonders is a wee little tent village in the middle of a big forest.  One might expect the cities to offer such a remarkable service as well...for example, the Rogues Guild in Neverwinter, the Prancing Badger Inn (and its motley of ne'er-do-wells), Yondalla's Temple in the halfling village, the dwarven settlement inside the Mount Frostbite mines and/or the Abandoned Svirfneblin Village beneath the Neverwinter Excavation Site.  (After all, the svirfneblin are notorious little tinkerers, as many gnomes are.)

If this request isn't too unreasonable, what are the odds of seeing more trap disassemblers added to the server, if only so we don't have to run all the way back to the Neverwinter Wood after we recover a few traps in the Crags or the Fallen Tower or whatnot?  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:49:05 PM by Wids »

Neutral_Zone

Re: More Trap Disassemblers, Please
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
Given that I'm pretty sure that not-so-suspicious halfling has a patent on that mechanical doohickey, it seems unlikely. Traps tend not to give too much money or useful components so most people just toss them rather than spending time clicking through items that ought to stack but don't (and won't, for engine reasons), even when the amazing trap disassembler unit is handy.

I will offer one bit of advice though. There's an NPC in the module somewhere that buy traps. Good luck finding them!

Wids

• View Profile
Re: More Trap Disassemblers, Please
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
Well, it's definitely not the Magic Man, I know that much.   :D

By the items that ought to stack but don't, are you referring to the quartz crystals and skeleton knuckles?  It's a bit odd that every trap component stacks except for those two, isn't it?

(Or if you're referring to the traps themselves, oddly enough, the crew behind the Forgotten Realms: Cormyr server got traps to stack somehow.  The traps max out at stacks of seven traps, for some odd, non-decimal reason.)

And surely the Rogues Guild could steal that sneaky halfling's patent and put it to good use, couldn't they?  Does any sort of Patent Office even exist along the Sword Coast?   ;)