Author Topic: Streaking is punishable by death!  (Read 14639 times)

Twi'lek_Dancer

• View Profile
Streaking is punishable by death!
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
So, I got lost yesterday (hey, it's been a while!), and while wandering around and clearing normal spawns a naked NPC came charging at me. Her hood was on, and she did have a staff, but that was about it. She soon bit the dust like the group of orcs I was fighting, and upon looting her I got the head, which made me realize she was probably posted on the bounty hunter board. My monk kept going while she pondered about poor wardrobe choices. Not long after that she took yet another wrong turn, and ended up at Luskan (the side entrance, not the main one). Once more, a man in nothing but his tighty whities and a helm run into my monk's fist. To my surprise, he was also on the bounty hunter list. At any rate, it was a valuable lesson, since now my elf is less inclined to run around naked (not that she would, but still).

TL;DR: You may have an armor feat / level restriction issues with the bounty hunter NPCS.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
Re: Streaking is punishable by death!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Oh the current lament of the bounty system. Last I knew Sakes was working on the matter but I don't know when it will be resolved. I can take a look at the code but it'd likely be greek to me, sadly.

Twi'lek_Dancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
I think it may be the NPCs not meeting the requirements for the loot they have been assigned, and thus are unable to use it.  Just a wild guess, since they seem to spawn correctly and use other items.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
I had taken a look at the bounties that spawned without wearing their armor some time ago. If anything, there's an issue with spawning the armors, not the requirements. They do have the feats for all armors and weapons. Instead, the bare bounties had no armor spawned at all, not even in their inventories.

In short: Yup, we know about the issue, but it's still unresolved unfortunately.

I can take a look at the code possibly, if someone points me in the right direction. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer and may (most likely) not find the solution.
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

fealhach2008

• "I hope that's chocolate."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
It used to be a somewhat rare occurrence, but it seems almost all of them are now 'skyclad'.

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
The problem isn't a lack of armor proficiencies, I'd have squashed the problem long ago if it was.

For awhile the problem was that the equip armor script always ignored base AC 0 items, even if magically enchanted.  I thought this was fixed.

The current problem?  I don't know what's causing it.  AI is notoriously finicy, and there is no way to directly spawn armor onto an NPC's back, it has to be spawned into inventory and then told to equip it, and often NPCs will ignore orders.  I *think* that's what the current problem is.

DM Cat is watching you roleplay.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:04 AM »
The current problem?  I don't know what's causing it.  AI is notoriously finicy, and there is no way to directly spawn armor onto an NPC's back, it has to be spawned into inventory and then told to equip it, and often NPCs will ignore orders.  I *think* that's what the current problem is.

Wouldn't the armor be found in the inventory of the NPC if that were the case?
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

Wouldn't the armor be found in the inventory of the NPC if that were the case?

Yup.  Has anyone logged on as a DM and checked to see if the armor is in their inventory?

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »
Yeah, Tails has. Naked bounties had no clothes in their inventories. As far as I know, all the 0 AC armors were removed from the spawn list, so they shouldn't have that issue. It worked once upon a time. I don't know what changed, but suddenly, they stopped caring about clothes at one point. Maybe since they know they're going to die anyway, they've decided to go out in style.

Bloody emergent behavior. I swear we've got the start of some sort of rogue AI in the works here.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
"I will go out, as I came in."

TheMadPoet

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Sometimes if too many processes go on at once NWN hiccups. Maybe some kind of delay on their spawns for adding clothes and equipping them? It's worked in the past for me. You could even go as far as 10 seconds or so. It's not like people are around when the bounties spawn, right?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:09:25 PM by TheMadPoet »

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »
Try checking the script for any body armors that have since been deleted from the palette?
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »
Sometimes if too many processes go on at once NWN hiccups. Maybe some kind of delay on their spawns for adding clothes and equipping them? It's worked in the past for me. You could even go as far as 10 seconds or so. It's not like people are around when the bounties spawn, right?

Not sure. In some cases the delays actually make things worse, since they cause NWN to queue commands. At any rate, the bounties spawn only when someone reads the sign. So if nobody reads the bounty board, there's no criminals! (Next thing you know, reading is outlawed.) I think it's more likely that someone deleted something from the palette that's common as their armor, like Kattze said.

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »

Not sure. In some cases the delays actually make things worse, since they cause NWN to queue commands. At any rate, the bounties spawn only when someone reads the sign. So if nobody reads the bounty board, there's no criminals! (Next thing you know, reading is outlawed.) I think it's more likely that someone deleted something from the palette that's common as their armor, like Kattze said.

This is the most likely explination.  If the scripts just randomly skipped firing we'd have a lot of problems with pretty much every script, but even if it was somehow isolated to the bounty system, then the odds of weaponless or nameless or unleveled bounties should be the same since the script does all those steps in a row.  Instead, the only thing consistently missed is spawning armor, so it's most likely an error in the armor spawn table.

TheMadPoet

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »

Instead, the only thing consistently missed is spawning armor, so it's most likely an error in the armor spawn table.

Good point.