Author Topic: Forgotten Realms Clerics and Holy Garments  (Read 12614 times)

Wids

• View Profile
Forgotten Realms Clerics and Holy Garments
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
Because Tails and I got to chatting about it....   8)

Does anyone else remember an old Forgotten Realms supplement from way back in yon days of yore (maybe around the days of AD&D), which had a whole bunch of pictures on the typical priestly and ceremonial garments for the clerics of various deities?  The pictures looked like these:

Someone was kind enough to host the entire list of pics at this site.  It's in Portuguese, so you may need to run it through Google Language Tools.  But at least the names of the gods are (for the most part) recognizable.

I never picked up that supplement, but I remember thumbing through it at a game shop back in St. Louis.  The copy I read was in English, of course.  Does anyone here remember which book that was?  ???

This material may be canon, but I don't see it as being particularly binding, particularly in the case of Chaotic deities.  All the same, I just think it's neat.  Despite the limitations of the Neverwinter Nights clothing options, I gave my Loviatar cleric on FRC an outfit similar to the one up there, and my Clerics of Umberlee both here and back on Pirate Isles have these "official-style" cleric vestments too.  It seemed like a good idea to me.

I imagine that the paladins, druids, rangers and monks serving various deities could gussy themselves up with some similar outfits (and some aesthetic semblance of religious solidarity), too.

So what book was that, anyway?

Wids

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Realms Clerics and Holy Garments
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »
To belatedly answer my own question, it was Faiths and Avatars (and its "sequel," Powers and Pantheons, to cover some deities who were left out of Faiths and Avatars).

Check them out.  They're well worth a read.  :)