Author Topic: IRC  (Read 4673 times)

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
IRC
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
Once upon a time, in a land far far away, when LotN was just shedding its TMB skin, there was a chat room.  It seemed right silly that a game with its own chat system would need a separate chat room.  But it was there, and it was fruitful.  Many prominent members of the community gathered here, even while they played, to discuss matters of the strange and cryptic.  But soon came Instant Messaging, and the chatters filed away, one by one, from the arcane ruins of IRC.  Gone were the endless ramblings and morally questionable links posted by Eow.  A sad time, indeed.  I miss those times.

Now, the IRC room, still linked on our front page, is pretty much dead, kept alive only by the fact that I think Azurite hasn't turned off his computer in over 4 years (I think it even considers him the admin of it now).

Once upon a time, the IRC room, parallel to the forums, was the social nerve-center of the community (I guess you could lump the game in there somewhere >.>).  Am I the only one who'd like to see this going again?  Or is IRC really dead?

Eowarion

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
Bring back the IRC!  I remember how it died.  Was a shame.  I still have those logs on my old harddrive.

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »
I would join.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:39:45 PM »
between msn, the forums, and the actual game, i've got no interest in devoting more of my time and computer to another chat program.
Rawr.

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:06 AM »
IRC?! That's so old-school. Ventrilo's where it's at, dude.

*goes to hang with the cool kids*
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Zodiac

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »
yay... I'm a cool kid.

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:36:13 AM »
no you're not. don't let tsu's fool you, he's misinformed >.>
Rawr.

Drewskie

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »
Azurite's still there?  That's funny.  At the time I left it was basically me, Azurite, and Eow.  And that's a while ago now.  

I like IRC.  When Kattze and Leo started the channel many years ago now I was there.

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
I guess ventrilo is the new age thing.  Although I can't link youtubes in vent without Shade complaining like a friggin housewife.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Eowarion

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:28:46 AM »
Man, I remember some nights, when I'd post links and get the whole room like "WTF?!" And somehow, even after doing that consistantly, there were still people I could trick into going to my links.  Like Teal.  Haha

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
IRC
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 02:36:46 AM »
I still have the logs from back then.  I was in there a lot, and I was using trillian at the time, and it logged everything.  I've gone back to sift through the file a few times, which is pretty huge for a text file, and its funny.

I haven't been there in some time though.  I don't even remember the address for it.  I figured it died ages ago!

Azurite

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
EnterTheGame

Zcoreface

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
Yeah, the IRC days.

Drewskie

• View Profile
IRC
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
Stopped by for about 1 minute the other night and yep Azurite still there.  The place needs chanserv and more activity though, before you can call it a legit channel.