Author Topic: Edit: Various Questions  (Read 3163 times)

void incarnate

• View Profile
Edit: Various Questions
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:11:24 PM »
(See last post for updates.)

Had to edit becuase I find I have multiple questions, now. Will probably post more as their come, heh.  :?

QUESTION 1: Crafting
I've been trying to figure out how to adjust a module's crafting from the standard options (those default in the NWN original campaigns, for instance), to the more detailed crafting such as that available in many persistant worlds (like the one on this fair server, for instance). This is where my lack of designing experience bites me in the butt, since I have no idea how to accomplish this.

My primary aim is to create a small module that has complete crafting options, a couple merchants selling basic equipment and dyes, so that instead of opening the toolset anytime I want to see how something looks I can just open the module and snag a character.

QUESTION 2: Adding CEP to existing non-CEP modules
This is another one that's bugged me, as I can't seem to get a response from any one website or source... maybe more obscure sources with details do exist, but I can't seem to find them.

As far as I can tell, you open the Edit menu, click on Module Properties, then click on the Custom Content tab. This is where my information runs dry and I'm lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing from here. This is related to the first question, namely because much of the things I enjoy crafting are CEP material and I assume require CEP-ification to use.

Any advice? Tips? Tricks?

-Void
"Tolerance is the difference between elitism and personal taste."

Politically Incorrect

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
When you cast a spell on an item, the script x2_pc_craft is run.  I suppose if you wanted to do everything from scratch, you could possibly do everything in there, and never think twice about everything NWN wrote.  For our system, I delved into the bowels of NWN's existing craft system, so that I could produce something somewhat familiar, and yet more featureful.

To edit the existing mechanics, it winds about quite a bit.  x2_pc_craft uses x2_inc_spellhook as its only include, but gets its actual code from x2_inc_craft.  So, you can recompile all three each time, or save a little hassle by commenting out #include "x2_inc_spellhook" and adding #include "x2_inc_craft" in x2_pc_craft.  I left it as is for ours, but we have a custom x2_inc_spellhook as well, so I had no real problem with keeping it in the loop.

If you're a little lost in that spagetti code, everything sort of branches out from the CIGetSpellWasUsedForItemCreation function.  It's job is to activate any other item crafting actions, if the target item is of the appropriate variety, and return a TRUE or FALSE back down the chain of command to the core spellhook code.  It needs to know TRUE or FALSE, so it knows whether or not to actually cast the spell.  For example, if we're using a spell to create a wand of Magic Weapon, we want it to know FALSE at the end, so that the spell doesn't continue, try to make the wand a magical weapon, obviously fail, and then complain to the user that it's not a weapon.

If you want to do your own entirely custom x2_pc_craft, then it'll need, at very least, the include #include "x2_inc_switches", and where ever it might finish off, have the function SetExecutedScriptReturnValue with TRUE or FALSE, depending on if the calling spell should finish out or not.

It's a pretty script-intensive project, but hope that's somewhere to start.

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:19 PM »
Well, I don't unfortunately know how to answer the first, but as for the second..

Take your non-CEP module and go to where you mentioned already.

Module Properties > Custom Content

You should see a white box, and below it a blank pull down menu.  If you click the little arrow, you should be able to select the different files you have installed.  Pick one and click add.

For CEP 2 you need this files, in this order:

cep2_top_v1
cep2_add_phenos2
cep2_add_phenos1
cep2_add_sb_v1
cep2_add_tiles
cep2_core5
cep2_core4
cep2_core3
cep2_core2
cep2_core1

NOTE: Order is important here, but you can just add all that stuff and change the order after its all been added to the list.

Then just click okay, and it should try to build, and if everything goes right, you'll now have a bunch of new custom content to play around with.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:22:54 PM »
Question 2
You should add to your hak list, so that they list in this order, the following:
cep2_top_v1
cep2_add_phenos2
cep2_add_phenos1
cep2_add_sb_v1
cep2_add_tiles
cep2_core5
cep2_core4
cep2_core3
cep2_core2
cep2_core1

For the Custom Tlk file, set it to cep2_v1

Edit: Yeah, what she said.  But, don't forget the TLK file too.

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
Lol! Moth. I just came back to edit that, because I had forgotten the .TLK file in there.

Great minds think alike ;)

void incarnate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
First, thanks both of you for your help.

The CEP thing is currently finishing its build, so it looks like that's going to work fine.

The crafting business is going to be tricky, becuase it would be my first delve into the real mechancis of the game. I'll give a crack at it (definitely backing up the module now), then let y'all know how it goes.

And on a side note, both of you have impeccable timing, well worth hitting "refresh" to see. ;)

-Void

Politically Incorrect

void incarnate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
QUESTION 3: LETO
While using LETO, I can't find a way to import a PC-turned-NPC into the Toolset; or at least, I can't access it.

Example: I create a character (PC). Saves in localvault as a .bic file. I open in LETO, select the character converter, and then select the PC --> NPC option. Palette location is set to Custom 1. I save as <insertname>.erf under the Erf file. In the Toolset, now, I select File and Import, find the file to import, and select ok. The module loads up... but no character (now an NPC) anywhere to be found.

Yay for Q&A?

-Void

Politically Incorrect