Author Topic: Is my problem my processor or my HD?  (Read 2588 times)

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
Is my problem my processor or my HD?
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:39:15 AM »
Ok so heres my computer problem. It started to partially freezes, its like moving my cursor around on a screen shot. Well I decided to run a diagnostic on my comp and it said that my HD was fine and my CPU was fine. Well I decided to start checking other things. First was to reinstall windows, so I put in a boot disc and my it took for ever to read through the BIOs and start up. Then it told me that there was no HD to load onto. So unhooked my harddrive and reinstalled it. Nothing. Then I pulled out the RAM and fiddled with it. As of now I have no idea whats wrong with my comp and no money to fix it. So if someone could give me a point in the right direction I would appericiate it.

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »
Well, re-installing windows isn't necessarily the first thing you can do.  Does it ever give you a blue screen?  Things like spyware programs or viruses can do such things if you've got one.

And as for the HD, do you use a normal HD or a SATA HD?  If you use a SATA drive you'll probably need the disk with drivers to install at the loading screen when the Windows CD first starts up (and asks you if there are any drivers you wish to install).  Otherwise, it won't recognize you have a SATA and say you have no HDs installed.  If you have a normal IDE HD and its doing that, then that's a different matter.

I guess to really help, more information on the problem would be useful.  Bluescreens usually contain error messages (if you're getting them) or anything you might do that causes the freeze would also be useful.

Talesen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:45:42 PM »
Its a little hard to tell what might be wrong unless there is an error you can share with us.

It sounds from your words that the windows isn't installed correctly if windows isn't loading and you're getting a no loadable drive.  If this is the case, you could try to boot from the windows CD, which can let you format (if you want) your hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows.

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:11:56 AM »
Im good. Jumpers. I missed the damned jumpers.