Author Topic: How do you move around?  (Read 7957 times)

Haldadae

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:37:54 PM »
Way back when I first got NWN1, I checked the Bioware forums to try and learn better ways to just play the game. Remember when sending a tell was a mystery? And how the hell do you look at your own character's description?  :lol: That one took me a couple years to figure out.

Anyway, I've started playing NWN2, and there are some things I just don't get. After making a few posts on the forums, I've found the reason I don't get it is because it wasn't included in the game. It made me curious...

How do you move your character around in NWN1?

Going way back in time again, I once saw a post where someone recommended that you remap your drive command keys as follows:

D= walk
E= run
F= turn right
S= turn left
G= strafe right
A= strafe left
C= walk backwards

This way, you have full control over how you move and yet you still maintain your fingers over the home row. I found this advice invaluable and I've played like this ever since. I have a lot of control of my character's movements, so it's much easier to get a flanking position, or to turn and run w/o getting too many attacks of opportunities, etc.

My boyfriend is an fps player, so he seems to think this idea is awkward, probably because he is used to using the more traditional WSAD set up (which is the default for NWN1 and NWN2). But for someone just coming into the game, this other way seems much more intuitive and easy to control, especially in a game where you are typing so much. Figure 8's? No problem! :)

In NWN2, so far I have yet to find a way to just walk, without having to hold down the shift key or by having to select tracking mode/detect, etc. I've made my plea in the patches thread, but it's like a sea of chaos over there.

Now, NWN2 has it's fair share of problems, and I'm trying to wait for the dust to settle before I freak out about it, but to me this is a pretty big deal. It seems so crazy not to be able to simply walk around.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Maybe I just need to learn to use a new way to navigate?

Eowarion

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:39:05 PM »
WASD 4 lyfe.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:19:45 AM »
I tried something similar to the above, especially when I was using my laptop and didn't want to move around with the touchpad if I didn't have to.  (and couldn't switch to walk with detect mode on my main character, being as she was an elf).  But, I couldn't stick with it.  Something about FPSs is if you play one for any period of time, the natural response of the WASD quickly becomes ingrained in your head.  

I still have the same problem to this day with console FPS games.  My first lengthy experience with a console shooter was Goldeneye 007 for the N64, which has a totally different control feel than modern games, which try to emulate the WASD feel on two sticks.  With a controller in my hand, I just can't do it.

AelrynBloodmoon

• View Profile
    • http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php%3Fp%3D1199
How do you move around?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:17:03 AM »
My preferred key bindings:

A: Turn left
S: Walk backwards
D: Turn right
W: Run forward
Q: Strafe left
E: Strafe right
T: Walk forward

Rationale: The above key settings allow me to reach Ctrl and Shift easier than the SDFE centered format (my pinky winds up resting on shift), allowing easier access to my secondary and tertiary hotkeys(a blessing to anyone whose main is a caster). T, although a stretch away from the other keys, is a walk function, and not one I utilize often in combat situations where I need to make quick, decisive movements; since it only requires me to slide my fingers over one position (and really, I can reach it without shifting back to home keys anyway) I have a finger setup for "combat mode" where I'm using ASDW and a more casual setup of Homerow (still able to steer just fine) for travelling and RP.
"...If the opposing party does not respect you enough to show you his throat, find it and cut it out."

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:26:03 AM »
I am not sure why you might be having problems with walk mode.  I get -stuck- in walk mode all the darn time.  I want to turn it off!  The shift key acts like an on-off button for walk mode.  I hit it, or hold it down to walk, and I get stuck that way until I hit it again.

So that works for me..when I want it too..and when I don't.  Unfortunately.  As for how I have my stuff set up... I use WASD, and I don't think its really a ton different from your set up...just personal preference.  I play FPS here and there as well, when I have the urge to kill something. :)

Haldadae

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:59:05 AM »
Quote from: "Shanra"
 I hit it, or hold it down to walk, and I get stuck that way until I hit it again.

Odd, this doesn't work (or happen to me, depending on how you look at it) for me. Then again, randomly I can't target anyone with my buffs. I'll click to cast and it will auto-assign who I'm going to cast it on. I'm not sure if I'm getting stuck in some kind of feature, or if this is a bug. Going through a transition seems to help fix it, but it's a pain.

Zodiac

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:06:40 AM »
bring up your character sheet, there is a tab that says behavior. that might help.
as for key mapping go to your main menu, and click on options from there.  4th tab will say key mapping.
hitting the tabs key doesn't high light things anymore it just targets enemies or party members. edit: hit backspace to untarget
for spells and abilities, you once again bring up you character sheet or spell book and drag them to the quick slot
to go through the quick bar faster hit shift + 2 (or what ever number you want)

anything else you need help with?

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
In NWN2, if you have an ally targetted when you tell it to cast a buff, that ally automatically gets the buff.

LastWordz

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 03:31:25 PM »
Remapped all my quick-access keys (character sheet, quick cast bar, etc.) to around the WASD position for easy useage.  I don't use keyboard movement, at all.  Mouse + Top Down Camera works wonderfully for me.  I tried other modes, I don't like them.  I use the middle-mouse and edge-scrolling to keep the camera positioned comfortably.

I adjusted all the pop-up menu speeds for my own personal liking.  BTW, shift+right-click will bring up a popup instantly on the mouse-over target.  And if you don't have pop-ups instantly coming up, right-clicking the targetted person/object will make it disappear.

It took me about 5 hours to get comfortable with the interface.  I didn't care for it to begin with, but now I love it.  Although, there are some elements that could use some minor tweaking, imo - but not a big deal.
"Hindsight is wonderful -- it shows you how you busted your skull . . . after you've busted it. " --- Friday, R.A. Heinlein
"Schoolteacher -- lost that job when they caught me teaching the kids the raw truth; a capital offense anywhere in the galaxy." ---- Time Enough For Love, R.A. Heinlein

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 08:01:25 PM »
The interface does have promise, despite being different from waht I'm used to.  I have to give them credit for designing something I can almost map to a playstation controller and play.  *sighs*  THAT would've made me happy.

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 10:08:32 PM »
Yeah, my shift key is my auto walk/run key.  It is also the same with my friend I'm playing with (I asked him).  It lets you walk or run by just hitting it.

I end up using the mouse to move around myself as well, with the top-down camera view.

My character can't seem to walk very straight using WASD.  Runs foward, then often completely turns around.  Its silly, so I gave up.

I never bother to remap my keys...most of them have been programed into my brain by now (c for character sheet, i for inventory) that reprogramming myself would just take longer.  And I'm lazy. :)

Seadin

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 03:43:48 AM »
Quote from: "Haldadae"
Quote from: "Shanra"
 I hit it, or hold it down to walk, and I get stuck that way until I hit it again.

Odd, this doesn't work (or happen to me, depending on how you look at it) for me. Then again, randomly I can't target anyone with my buffs. I'll click to cast and it will auto-assign who I'm going to cast it on. I'm not sure if I'm getting stuck in some kind of feature, or if this is a bug. Going through a transition seems to help fix it, but it's a pain.

You probably have someone already selected without knowing it. I do that all the time where I have someone selected without knowing it so the casting goes off on someone I don't want. Just pause it if it does that and right click off to the side where no one is and then try casting again.

Nightingale019

• View Profile
How do you move around?
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 08:23:07 AM »
\ and T are my new favorite friends! I just recently found out the use for the T button thanks to moff. And here I was wishing they had the attack icon that I could quickbar so I could make better use of their targetting system.

\ for target nearest enemy and then T for default action, and since they're hostile the default action is whoop arse >.> *squeals giddily*