Author Topic: Monster-Spawn Issue  (Read 8183 times)

Legion

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:47:58 AM »
The very first chitines you encounter in the House Unknown spawn at a very difficult area. In fact, they only spawn if you pass through in a specific way, but when they do, it creates a pair (or more) of them that are immediately attacking you. Now, this creates a little lag for me, and I always thought to myself "this could kill someone not so prepared."

Last night, with my seventeenth-level nameless warrior assassin, I pass by the area for them to spawn. One chitine rogue, one chitine warrior, and one chitine cleric spawn. I experience the anticipated lag. With forty AC (expertise up) I was dead before the lag resolved.

Now, this lag has caused me problems in the past, but the lag at that spawning point has never killed me before, and now it's becoming an actual concern. Not because I can't handle the chitines (I've solo'd the entire dungeon on multiple occasions), but because in that few second period of lag, they all seem to automatically win initiative and between the sneak attacks, harms, and hammers heading my way I was slain. No chance to retaliate, because of the spawn-induced lag.

So, is this lag something everybody experiences? Is it something that has nearly or actually killed others? What can be done about it?

-Legion

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »
Well if its the one RIGHT at the beginning that you have to actually walk past their spawn point to get too..you can just..walk past their spawn point. You don't actually have to spawn those ones if they cause you problems.

Also, if you have sneak/hide, use that before you trigger the spawn.

Not saying they shouldn't be fixed, but there are ways for you to save yourself too.

Legion

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 06:18:54 PM »
Oh I'm aware of ways to spawn them without endangering myself (invisibility is my prefered method), but at that doesn't eliminate the problem presented. It merely lessens my own character's danger. It's a built-in lag-kill, and that's not fun for anybody, ever.

-Legion

jcly kite

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:52 PM »
Do they spawn right on top of you or something? Because that's really bad.

Legion

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:33:16 PM »
They spawn within melee range of the trigger point, yes. Which, since that automatically gives them the winning initiative, and all of their meleeists (short of the monks) are sneak-attackers, and the clerics have a love affair with hammer and harm (in that order), things can get bad fast for even high level characters.

As I've experienced.

-Legion

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:23:01 AM »
Yes, they spawn within melee range, although I've never had a problem. I lag a bit, but not enough its ever killed me. (Even on my low level characters).  It can be painful for low levels trying to solo though.

And the clerics don't use harm, its only an inflict.  It doesn't do nearly enough damage for a harm - or I'm always really lucky.  Still..painful.

ObViews

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »
I have to agree with that particular spawn being a bit nonsensical in its placement, given the dire spider/golem mob that spawns right before, and the swarm of spiderlings that spawn in your back right after.

void incarnate

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:00:34 PM »
Not fun the first time you stumble into it. Crashed my poor computer, damn hotu-animation-fix...

-The ever annoyed, Void
"Tolerance is the difference between elitism and personal taste."

Politically Incorrect

Chyelle

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:43:52 AM »
I love the idea of the spiderlings... they are adorable.. in a creepy, scared to death of spiders kinda way... but I don't think there would be anyone loosing any sleep if they were pulled all together... or just reduced to a few spawn areas.

And please take that dire spider outa the web when you first enter *nod nod*.  Please and thank you.

ObViews

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
Quote from: "Chyelle"

And please take that dire spider outa the web when you first enter *nod nod*.  Please and thank you.

Why? It removes the annoying encounter at that specific corner!  :?

void incarnate

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »
Sometimes, not always. Love when it does, that's one less thing moving for my computer to crash because of.

-Void
"Tolerance is the difference between elitism and personal taste."

Politically Incorrect

Aliss

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »

Delete Cuddles the Spider?!?  You go too far.
He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing -- the fury of the Time Lord -- and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden... He was being kind.
We wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure we did

Evo1ve

• View Profile
Monster-Spawn Issue
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 04:19:19 AM »
Quote from: "Aliss"

Delete Cuddles the Spider?!?  You go too far.

:!: