Author Topic: Bounty System Wishlist/Feedback  (Read 5691 times)

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Bounty System Wishlist/Feedback
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
I've been looking at the bounty system per Kattze's request, and as long as I have the scripts and I'm working on them anyway, I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions/requests for improvements to the system.  Feel free to suggest them, though keep in mind I obviously can't just do anything I want.  For example you can suggest taking bounties alive, but don't expect that to happen because it would be a ton of work.

I'm not really familiar with how people use the system, I was surprised people even did the level 2-5 bounties so I really don't know what improvements people would be interested in.

An example would be how there are no gnome bounties.  Is that something people care about that would warrant the effort of including them?  Or non-humanoid bounties?

Other feedback would be: Are certain level bounties too easy? too hard?  Are the rewards to high or too few? Any bugs you've seen? 

Now is the time to let me know.
DM Cat is watching you roleplay.

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty System Wishlist/Feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
I've seen 4 out of 5 bounties spawn in the same dungeon before.  It would be better if that didn't probably happen.  Maybe a few more bounties for each level too..

And why no gnomes?!  They are people too!

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
It may be too time consuming, but what about having higher level bounties spawn with support? An example might be the level 11-15 bounty spawns with a few less powerful henchmen around to mix it up. A gang, instead of just one person. Just a thought.
Rawr.

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
It may be too time consuming, but what about having higher level bounties spawn with support? An example might be the level 11-15 bounty spawns with a few less powerful henchmen around to mix it up. A gang, instead of just one person. Just a thought.
I, as a player, would rather not like this myself.  Quite a few of my characters have enough trouble with bounty difficulty even in the higher range.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
I've seen 4 out of 5 bounties spawn in the same dungeon before.  It would be better if that didn't probably happen.  Maybe a few more bounties for each level too..

And why no gnomes?!  They are people too!

The main reason is that we are sort of limited on hunting zones.  Often there is only 1 or 2 dungeons within a 5 level range, and I have to spawn 5 bounties, plus have enough way points so the locations don't repeat too much.  I could put in a block to keep multiple bounties from spawning in the same dungeon but I often don't have 5 different dungeons to make that practical.  It's not so much a limitation in the bounty system as a lack of hunting areas.

I would think if you get multiple bounties in the same dungeon, that should mean the bounties make running that dungeon worthwhile, no?  If they aren't then perhaps that's the problem, because I wanted bounties to encourage people to run dungeons that they normally wouldn't.  Perhaps bounties in the middle of dungeons should give extra rewards?

So my thought isn't so much to avoid a "Oh, all 5 spawned in this dungeon..." and change that to "Awesome! all 5 spawned in this dungeon!"

As for why no gnomes... I just didn't add them.  I could do so easily enough.  Non PC races are trickier, mainly because they don't have a built in name generator I can exploit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:12:32 AM by Sakes »
DM Cat is watching you roleplay.

Icky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
Sometimes the placement of the bounties is great, other times, it creates a one way ticket to death's door.

Bounties at the appropriate level are quite hard, in my experience.  Because I like a challenge, will methodically crawl through a dungeon that's pushing it a little for my char.  Thing will be going just fine until a bounty shows up alongside three ice giants and a winter wolf, (or whatever, you get the idea)  I'm 85/15 to handle the monsters, and I'm maybe 60/40 on the bounty, but against both at the same time?  Dead. Dead dead dead.   

And maybe that's okay, because sometimes adventurers get mauled by unexpected masses of foes.

Just my 2 cents.

Ick
Old School

Kattze

• Administrator
  • No! Not the bees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
Sometimes the placement of the bounties is great, other times, it creates a one way ticket to death's door.

Bounties at the appropriate level are quite hard, in my experience.  Because I like a challenge, will methodically crawl through a dungeon that's pushing it a little for my char.  Thing will be going just fine until a bounty shows up alongside three ice giants and a winter wolf, (or whatever, you get the idea)  I'm 85/15 to handle the monsters, and I'm maybe 60/40 on the bounty, but against both at the same time?  Dead. Dead dead dead.   

And maybe that's okay, because sometimes adventurers get mauled by unexpected masses of foes.

Just my 2 cents.

Ick

If there are any bounties in places you think need repositioning please tell us! I know i've run into a couple myself that killed me because they were joined by 'friends'.
THOSE ARE MY SHOES
GIVE THEM BACK
YOU ARE A DOG
THEY DON'T EVEN FIT

fealhach2008

• "I hope that's chocolate."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
I like it when this happens. It's like a mini boss that makes the same old spawn something different which makes you have to think a little more tactically.

TheMadPoet

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
Could you not exploit the subdual damage system to subdue the bounties, then offer to take them as a corpse item that's like 100 lbs or something similar instead of a 5 lb head? You could just put a onDeath check to check to see if the player is in subdual mode, and if so they drop a corpse item instead of a head. Maybe give a slightly higher bounty reward for carrying that heavy load?