Author Topic: Voice your suggestions here!  (Read 31471 times)

Haldadae

• View Profile
Voice your suggestions here!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
Perhaps a system could be used that increases an XP bonus modifier the longer a character goes without dying. The range might go something like: .1 (just after a death) to 1.25 (after being alive for a long time).

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
I like that idea.  Because, while we suffer for "dying" (which technically, as Death himself says, none of us really know about) we should be rewarded for living.  Checks and balances, really.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 09:04:49 AM »
that system would have to take activity into account. Otherwise, you could just make a character, not play it for a long time, and then fire it up, months later, woohoo, ready to roll with a nice xp bonus.

i think dms watching what's going on in rp is important, whether to give little xp bonuses, or to add little alignment shifts based on character choices and stuff like that. something more intelligent and observant than a bit of script.
Rawr.

theMannequin

• View Profile
    • In your wildest imagination
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »
I'd actually think that the bonus xp would be reset to 1 should there be a server reset.  Or even inactivity.  If I create a character, why would I have the intent of not touching that character for months.
“Thet's what I'm gunnin' fer.  Panny.  Kin ya check an' see if Ming's over at the church.  Git 'im an' bring 'im here.  I got me a godsdamned plan!"  Shani Wennemein, from I Am The Law, The Adventures of Black Mask & Pale Rider.

Sakes

• Probably my fault.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
Unfortunately I can't find the post I did on death changes awhile back.   Its probably buried somewhere maybe I'll dig it out eventually.

I don't believe we have a scripter capable of changing the death system currently, though.
DM Cat is watching you roleplay.

PinkEvil

• View Profile
    • http://www.keramika.dk/
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Quote from: "AelrynBloodmoon"
The gold penalty is ineffective. Anytime it adds up to a sum to be worth anything, all you achieve is that player logging the character out until the next reset. To speak honestly, I think the gold penalty is almost completely pointless- it does not achieve its objective of making people fear death in any way, shape, or form, because the gold penalty is not inflicted unless you respawn.

Once we have the change in place to make death persistent over resets, the gold loss will in fact serve a very important purpose: gold sink. Torin is absolutely right that in the current state, the 10% loss isn't really effective, but that is mainly due to the fact that people log out when they die and just wait for a reset. If you can't do that, and you're forced to give up 10% of your gold, we might actually, eventually reach a point where gold has significant value even past level 10. And once that happens, we might also actually be able to put some more useful and more valuable items in the stores without fear of them being used excessively.

As Sakes said, we don't currently have anyone on the crew with the ability to do any drastic changes for the death system. So the jist is, you can make all the suggestions you want, and they are all appreciated, but it just isn't going to happen. A lot of the LOTN scripting has been written from scratch, and no instructions have been left fo those who took over. No one currently has the time or desire to get knee deep in hard core scripting, so we simply can't do anything about it. We just have to work with what we have and make the best of it.
Mistress of Guf

Haldadae

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:49 PM »
Just for fun then, maybe the system would work something like:

After x kills of CR level y (+/- 1 or 2) the player's XP modifier increments by z. It'd eventually cap out at some number that wasn't too ridiculous, but would still be a good incentive not to die.

This could all reset at the server's reset, but I think it would be more fun if the number was persistent so that careful players reap the maximum reward. The player could even receive notifications whenever their XP modifier incremented--either for debug purposes and initial testing or as a permanent incentive if deemed appropriate.

After death, the XP modifier would go way down, but would go back up rather quickly  to a comfortable range. Or this system could be combined with the way things currently work (getting no XP at all for a certain amount of time after death).

shadowangel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »
Enchanted guitars for smashing over peoples heads.
No really.

dylan_the_rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
I second that motion: Flying V's of head smashing for everyone.
Like a cat in a sack, waiting to drown.

shadowangel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 05:49:20 AM »
A neutral necromancy god! Bloody hell.

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
What would be the chances of maybe tweaking the lighting in camp and connecting areas? I understand it's going to be dark, but there doesn't seem to be much light from anything that is a light source, or rather very little light coming from it.

I'd also like captain hoeseason to stand still. It look awkward to have your toon run up to him to get passage if he's trying to be broody. Ruins the mood moment. (my opinion)

Perhaps also some more "rp" stores. IE: butcher, baker, candlestick maker and other common things you would find around a city like Neverwinter.

I'd also like to see perhaps the small tweak that was about not too long ago that gave you 1 xp for anything lower level that is almost pointless to kill except the spawns are annoyingly in your way.

And finally I'd to see the the library that I busted my ass on to redo in the server eventually.

Jocularity

• Dungeon Master
  • I'm on an Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
The library IS in the server. Its just an IC library rather than an OOC library. You can find it in the blacklake district of neverwinter.
"I didn't know they make Glow in the Dark Escalators..."

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
Wrong library dear. That is the old library. I redid it about a year ago.

Jocularity

• Dungeon Master
  • I'm on an Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
It is? Then why is the old one in there? Do we not have the new one?
"I didn't know they make Glow in the Dark Escalators..."

Linna Vot

• +80 CON
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
if you mean the old roid library, i'm fairly certain i've got a copy of all the books stashed away somewhere, if that helps.
Rawr.