Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights Reborn?  (Read 6010 times)

fealhach2008

• "I hope that's chocolate."
    • View Profile
Neverwinter Nights Reborn?
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:26:04 AM »
I know I'm probably the last to know about this, but I thought I'd post it on the forum anyway.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/20/beamdog-announces-neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition-for-pc.aspx

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights Reborn?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
https://www.beamdog.com/

They've announced Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. I... do wonder how they're going to enhance it.
"Patrolling the North almost makes you wish for an Aurilite winter."

fealhach2008

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
They mentioned a few details, but I'm wondering if this will bring back or create a new community of NWN players. Games like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity:Original Sin might have given everyone a taste of CRPG and it could be time soon to reel 'em in!

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
There's apparently talk that they're doing a pre-release of the game today to allow modules and servers to update to it. While that concerns me on what that means for compatibility for people with original copies, that also does suggest a new server listing to replace the defunct GameSpy one. I do think this will spark some renewed interest in the game, so this may be a good time to consider jumping over. Plus... if the trend continues like it did with the Enhanced Editions of BG1, 2, and IWD, the original NWN version will no longer be sold anymore due to sales agreements.

Few other details I know of outside of UI scaling so it isn't super tiny on 4K resolutions and new post-processing effects. I'll bite the bullet and drop $20 on this so I can peek under the hood at what's all going on tonight.

fealhach2008

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
I just want the family back, man...

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
I watched the stream today and made several notes about it on our Discord. I'll share it here.

• UI scaling options. This means if you play on 1080p or 4K resolutions, UI elements won't be unbearably tiny!
  • Some advanced graphical options for the client. Vibrancy, higher contrast, depth of field, all of which is toggleable.
  • Nearly everything should be easily ported over from NWN to NWN:EE. I'll check it if I can get my hands on it early.
  • Toolset recompiled! This means bugfixes and potential lifts on resource limits. :D
  • New master server.
  • Hardcoded stuff won't be so hardcoded anymore, meaning we could possibly change feats and skills how we see fit.
  • NWN players cannot play with NWN:EE, mainly due to security fixes (and the new master server). Oh boy.
  • On the plus side, we WILL have server listings once again!
  • There will be a GOG release.
  • 64-bit client.
  • Niv is on the dev team, as well as a staffer from Arelith that is pushing to get an auto-downloader enabled. This means if (I stress "if" strongly here) we decide on adding some haks to add in new classes, we won't need to dig around everywhere for them.
  • $20 for the game with all Diamond Edition stuff. $40 for that plus the last premium modules and all the soundtracks for the game. You shouldn't need anything beyond the $20 edition of the game to play anywhere else online, including Legacy of the North.
  • And finally, they're doing a selective beta to add people in waves to help sway the project.

Honestly, I'm sold. This seems like a good opportunity to make a comeback if we can drum up some folks that are willing to come back and play around.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
Very interesting.  I think this is probably the best we can expect for this game at this point in time.  A combination of a "new" release on modern platforms and the return of working integrated multiplayer server list is probably the biggest thing the NWN multiplayer community could hope for.  Hopefully the remainder of the NWN community jumps on board with this... it's unclear if the EE client will be able to connect to legacy servers.  It's been a long time, but I remember when SoU and HotU were released you had to wait until the server was upgraded to connect.  Same thing with the patches really... crazy to think how long ago that was.

The news of this got me to start digging around to see what communities were left, or at least still in stasis and not lost to the void of the internet.  So many proboards are long gone.  Awesome to see the Magic Bubble / LoTN is still chugging along.  I may just have to roll up a new characters one of these days.

Tails1879_

• Administrator
  • Raggle Fraggle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
I'm going to start prodding a few people from those old days and see who's interested. Right now we've been doing a quick run-through of the server on the Enhanced Edition, identifying what should be updated, and what needs adjusted thanks to the High Contrast settings making some places... too dark. Since then, there has been only -one- script issue, and that's due to the "fix" to Greater Sanctuary from the official v74 of NWN:EE. Everything else works the way it used to.

The only big issue we have is how the server vault is handled. In short, instead if all the folders in the server vault being named after the client's player name (an old system we can still use), it is now named after their Public Key. If we make the switch to it, all that needs done is a simple request to repopulate your character vault and we'll have it handled in a jiffy. :D

Beamdog had a stream yesterday, and will have one every Friday. Here's a quick rundown of what came up...
  • Easy method of hiding helmets and cloaks without unequipping them.
  • Toggleable combat modes (NWN2 style). Finally, no more Expertise shutting off constantly!
  • Normal maps for models
  • Steamworks integration for those wanting a Steam copy of the game
  • Pretty sure I saw coloring individual armor parts being advertised (Though I was informed another server managed this themselves. Still, good thing).

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »
Well... I'm in! Once I finish a few games I've really been meaning to play, I might start work on some new stuff. Both LotN stuff, and additional content to go along with the new updated version of NWN.

Torin

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
I watched the stream today and made several notes about it on our Discord. I'll share it here.

• Nearly everything should be easily ported over from NWN to NWN:EE. I'll check it if I can get my hands on it early.
  • New master server.
  • Hardcoded stuff won't be so hardcoded anymore, meaning we could possibly change feats and skills how we see fit.
  • On the plus side, we WILL have server listings once again!
  • There will be a GOG release.
  • 64-bit client.
  • Niv is on the dev team, as well as a staffer from Arelith that is pushing to get an auto-downloader enabled. This means if (I stress "if" strongly here) we decide on adding some haks to add in new classes, we won't need to dig around everywhere for them.

Awesome. I think the serverlist alone is worth the purchase at this point.

alkmaar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »
following this news with intresst,  maybe a laptop nwn app?
cheers