Author Topic: Forum Upgrades  (Read 9197 times)

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Forum Upgrades
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
I'm going to be doing a general upgrade and overhaul of the forums.  If you experience any issues, post them here.  Unless you can't, because that's your issue.  In which case... ~awkwaaard~.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
  • Themes are going to be kind of wonky for a bit.  Please enjoy the lovely curves of defaults-ville until I find and tweak a substitute.
  • Kitten Konfirmation did not survive the transition.  Slightly more traditional (and less cute) anti-bot measures are in place until I take the time to feed the little devils.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:54:38 PM by machmoth »

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
My old logo is back!

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »
My old logo is back!
Hehe.  Your old logo has always been here!  I used it for the light theme and used the NWN-looking logo for the dark theme.  But because the dark theme was the default, I think I was the only person using the light theme (the dark one gave me a headache).  When the themes broke, it defaulted back to your logo.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:09:36 AM by machmoth »

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »
I put a dark theme back into place, though not the same one as before.  Probably for the better.  Feedback welcome.  Also, if anyone has a SMF v2 theme they are obsessed with and want available as an option, now is the time to put it forward.

To change your theme is under Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Feel.  (I took down the little dropdown box on the home page.  It never totally worked right.)

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey Moffers, appreciate the work. The dark theme is a lot darker than the previous dark theme though, and now it's giving me a headache. Which is unusual. Also, the news feed on the right side of the homepage is missing. Another note is that the "New Post" icon changed to the board default, which is not as obvious as the new one.

That's about all I noticed that probably needs fixing. Keep up the good work!

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
Hey Moffers, appreciate the work. The dark theme is a lot darker than the previous dark theme though, and now it's giving me a headache. Which is unusual. Also, the news feed on the right side of the homepage is missing. Another note is that the "New Post" icon changed to the board default, which is not as obvious as the new one.

That's about all I noticed that probably needs fixing. Keep up the good work!
Allowing me to choose anything regarding headaches or colors is generally a poor course of action.  :P  Everything gives me headaches and I can only guess at what colors look right.  I went over the theme's colors and tried to mute the contrast some.  We'll see if that helps.

I moved the news feed to the left side of the screen to try and cut down on the front page width.  It may not have shown for you because I didn't have the specialty-interest and other odd groups checked.  SMF seems to take a very "deny if possible" approach to permissions.  Matter resolved.

I can't imagine the old, blue new-post icon working much better next to bluish text.  So, new post icon is now gold!  I think...  Don't hold me to that.

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »
Oh! Didn't see that. My bad. lol
I do miss the old emoticons though.
And from what I can see, the contrast is better now.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »
I do miss the old emoticons though.
I'll do you one better and enable the ability for users to choose their smiley set.  The old one is called "Classic" and the option to change it is right under where you change your theme in your profile.

I also totally got that wiki wired up that we agreed was too late to be useful.  I haven't done anything to it.  But it's there, proving to me that it could exist.  http://lotn.info/wiki/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:54:41 AM by machmoth »

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
Oh, shiny! Apparently my name has an apostrophe in it, though.

Let's bug everyone to update the wiki! And then surreptitiously create a conspiracy coalition, for no apparent reason.

Ceronicous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
Posted a short blurb about myself. You know, because nothing else matters in the world. ;)
If history is to change, let it change.
If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.
If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Apparently my name has an apostrophe in it, though.
Mediawiki doesn't much care for certain characters (notably - and _), so the extension that carries accounts over does a bit of creative renaming.  They were remiss in the details of that renaming.  But if it's any consolation, the apostrophe makes you look very faux elven.

Neutral_Zone

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
Yeah, I figured as much. Faux elven is good though, innit?

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
I've put a little structure into the wiki, if anyone feels compelled to fuddle with it.