Author Topic: Shades of Green  (Read 3308 times)

Shanra

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
Shades of Green
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »
Shades of Green

Late into the night, camp was empty.  Aside from a soft breeze, and the crackling fire, it was almost silent.  Every once in a while sounds of nocturnal creatures from the forest would reach Shanra’s ears, but other than that, it was indeed quite peaceful.

Sliding down from the log-now-bench that resided by the fire, she scooted closer its warmth.  Though it was well into the night, she had no real desires to go home, since Talic wouldn’t be there.  Returning to their small haven amongst the forest was another option, but that wasn’t quite the same without him either.  

Lost in her own thoughts, the fire sparked and startled her.  Shaking her head, she picked up a stick to idly poke at the burning logs.  Things were so different now.  She could hardly ask to be happier, but something kept bothering her, and she hadn’t quite put a finger to it yet.

Why am I so worried?  It couldn’t be that I’m.. no.. no that’s just silly.  Haley always tells me I worry too much.  How can I tell him, if I am?  Its my own fault...

With a sigh, she shook her head.  The same thoughts kept racing through her mind over and over, and suddenly she was glad to be alone.  Picking up her bow, she stood and wandered north into the forest.

Even the stroll turned out relatively peaceful, at least at first.  The cool breeze felt good against her skin though, and the rustling of the trees was a little more serene.  A pair of wolves darted into the bushes not too far away, sensing her presence.  She continued on, disappearing deeper into the forest.  

“Shaa...nn...ra... “

Shanra’s ears perked immediately  It was no more than a whisper, but she was sure she’d heard her name.  But from where?  Standing still, she closed her eyes, halted her breathing, and listened.

“Shan... ra... “

Again, the voice called out her name. Why can’t I pinpoint it? Where is it coming from?  She kept going, hoping this was the direction of the source.

“Who are you? Show yourself!”

While there was no answer to her plea, her call was met with something else.  Slowly, her body seemed to be encompassed by an invisible aura.  Dodging a few steps backwards didn't seem to matter, for she could still feel its presence.  It was almost painful at first, but after a moment it seemed to dull, until it disappeared altogether.  Before she even had time to process everything in her mind, tears welled up in her eyes.  She recognized the aura.. she knew who the voice was.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:14:01 AM by Shanra »