Forum > NWN2 Buzz

NWN2 vs Mac

(1/2) > >>

Haldadae:
I am going to buy a Mac, do not try to dissuade me. :) It's important for my "profession"... even though I currently work at a game company which is of course all PC. :lol:

So that aside, here is the dilemma.

Option One: NWN2 is coming out at the end of January for the Mac. Of course, it will not have a toolset and who knows when the expansion will come out. I'm not sure if this time around the PC expansion will work for it. Ideally though, I'd like to buy it for the Mac because I have the feeling I would get maximum performance this way.

Option Two, Bootcamp: There is going the pure PC route, but I have heard mixed reviews. Some people say that even on a nice Mac Pro, it's very slow. If I go the bootcamp route, I have to buy the expansion (I already have the PC version) and I have to buy a copy of Windows (not Vista I am guessing, based on what I've heard on the boards here).

I have heard it said that the performance once the expansion is installed is much better. Is that true?

What is the community like? Do people play this game? Have they fixed it so you can f**king walk with the drive commands without having to hold down two buttons at once? :x

The real dilemma is, either way, option one or two, I have to buy something just to test NWN2 without the expansion pack (Either Windows or NWN2 for the Mac). If the community blows, I'd rather just get the Mac version and play through it with my boyfriend because afterall, I'm not buying this computer to play NWN2.

theMannequin:
Ask Eow about that.  He is good with that stuff.

However, I know all about needing to use an OS for profession.

Haldadae:
Oh and someone said this, which makes me think that the NWN2 Mac version plus PC expansion may not work this time around.

--- Quote ---The problem is that NWN 2 is written with DirectX, which the Mac doesn't support. NWN 1 was written with OpenGL,
--- End quote ---

Eowarion:
Firstly, I'd like to open and say: It's all going to be a pain in the ass, and likely more money than should really be necessary, will be spent for just one game.

That being said, if you don't care about legality... you'll save a few bucks.

For Bootcamp, you have a few options.  Are you willing to wait for the newest OSX release?  Because that's coming with Bootcamp.  If not, you can get it, but I don't remember the costs or any of that nonsense.  You'd be installing Windows (I'd say XP Home or Pro would be best bet... you can "acquire" such things if you look hard enough, or ask the right people in less publicly viewed ways <.<)

And keep in mind with bootcamp, when you set that up, it will partition your harddrive, effectively, you will lose access to space with your mac, in order to have space for your Windows install.

Honestly, the more I think on the logistics of the time, energy and even money, the more I'd be disinclined to bother getting into anymore than just NWN2 for the Mac...and I wasn't even thrilled by NWN2, so I'd likely just say "screw it".

If you do wish to go ahead though, I'll give what input I can on the whole process and whatever steps I can help with.

Haldadae:
All the new Macs ship with Leopard, so Bootcamp will be free. Does the partition have to be 50/50? I did that with my external drive and I can't remember if that was out of necessity, or just to give each computer half. For my new computer, I'm getting a large drive or maybe two, so I'm not too concerned about space. I was also thinking of getting the Witcher at some point, so maybe the Bootcamp way -is- the way to go.

I guess my questions here are less about the Mac and more about the quality of NWN2 with the expansion pack. This might be the wrong place to ask that question though. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page