Author Topic: How to create a Direct Connection Shortcut to LotN  (Read 9115 times)

Miranda LeGris

• View Profile
How to create a Direct Connection Shortcut to LotN
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
Here is a step by step guide to show you how to create a desktop shortcut to connect directly to Legacy of the North. The benefits of this include:
-- Very Time Saving
-- Reduces Server Lag
-- Does Not Use GameSpy (as GameSpy has been known to cause a few issues with some people)

STEP 1
Right click your desktop so that it brings up an option menu. Expand the New option, highlight and click Shortcut.

STEP 2
Clicking Shortcut will bring up the window you see below. Click the Browse button to bring up the next menu.

STEP 3
Now that the new explorer menu is up, find your nwnmain.exe file. Most of the time it can be found here: C:\Neverwinter Nights\NWN\nwnmain.exe - Though, some install it else where for reasons of their own, as shown below. Once you have nwnmain.exe highlighted, click OK.

STEP 4
Now that you have the shortcut made to the nwnmain.exe file, you'll need to command it to connect to Legacy of the North. Do so by adding +connect  legacyofthenorth.dyndns.info after nwnmain.exe. Be sure to put a space between the two. DM's may also make a shortcut but instead, add -dmc +connect legacyofthenorth.dyndns.info +password <pass> replacing <pass> with their password. Click NEXT.
i](Edited by tsunami282 to correct the server address.)[/i]

STEP 5
Now it's time for you to name the file, name it whatever you wish. I used 'Lotn'. Click FINISH and you should have an icon on your desktop. Double click it and enjoy.

That should help you out.

[Thank you NWoutcast for the new server info and explanatory images. Updated by PinkEvil May 27th 2009.]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:54:24 AM by tsunami282 »
Firefly ~ You can't take the sky from me...

Dr Horrible singalong For those Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion fans this is a must see.

Jocularity

• Dungeon Master
  • I'm on an Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm not sure i keep doing something wrong, but half the time i open LOTN using this it stops me, saying my player name was rejected by the server.

It always works if i go through the Neverwinter nights Menus though.

Anyone have advice?
"I didn't know they make Glow in the Dark Escalators..."

machmoth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »
I'd try clearing out the DNS cache, since the server tends to IP address hop sometimes.  Letting windows resolve the wrong IP address may be causing the problem.

At the Windows command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns".

NWoutcast

• Administrator
  • Sakes did it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »
I have set up a dynDNS client so the new direct connect is legacyofthenorth.game-host.org. Just follow the instructions as seen above just change the lotn.info to legacyofthenorth.game-host.org and you should be able to direct connect without the IP.

(Re-edit by tsunami282 :: this entry is once again correct.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:29:43 AM by tsunami282 »

tsunami282

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to create a Direct Connection Shortcut to LotN
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »
DynDNS's recent hijinks have forced another change of address for us.

The direct-connect address, as of 5 May 2012, is legacyofthenorth.dyndns.info

Thanks, Outcast, for getting this set up for us again!
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
The server is currently being moved, but can be accessed using the IP 83.227.20.111

The DNS will hopefully be up and running again soon, but for now.. that's how you connect. (Also, players might notice lags where there were none, and players with lag might notice the lack of lag. Pending on region (Server has been moved overseas)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:42:51 PM by Tails1879_ »
"You get the award for the most characters clogging the veins of the server, building up like a plaque filled aorta"- DM Daisy.

Darkzealot

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »
The current server IP is 83.251.85.107

I remind you that this thread exists as I get a lot of PM's asking how to make direct connection shortcuts.
"You get the award for the most characters clogging the veins of the server, building up like a plaque filled aorta"- DM Daisy.